We understand how hard Postpartum Hair Loss can be. Don’t get us wrong, it’s truly a beautiful blessing to have a child. You love them so much that it feels unreal. Your heart is bursting with love. BUT, it’s hard right after you have a baby to try to get into a new routine. This new routine for your baby really becomes your new normal. You are trying to get accustomed to getting a lot less sleep, taking care of your baby and your family’s needs, and dealing with balancing life in general. Not to mention your own self care! You want to sleep, to be able to work out, and have time for yourself in general!
On top of ALL of that-your hair begins to fall out! How stressful! But, rest assured. This postpartum condition is completely normal. You are not alone if you experience this. So many women can relate! We put together some tips to help you out below. We also added in some of our products for you to use to help your hair grow right back – Maybe even healthier than before!
So, here’s the thing with postpartum hair loss. Our hair normally grows in cycles. But, during pregnancy, most of the hair stays in the growth phase due to those big changes in your body’s hormones. But after your hormones begin to change after the baby arrives, estrogen levels fall. This causes your beautiful, thick head of pregnancy hair to begin the shedding phase. Because so much of your hair sheds all at once, the amount of hair loss seems like a lot more than it really is. But, it’s still stressful to see or deal with! It’s normal to feel panic – but don’t. After birth, your hair typically returns to something close to your pre-pregnancy look within a year.
So, what do we do about these problems? It’s all about using natural ingredients and taking care of your hair. Be gentle with it. Treat it nicely. Especially during this fragile stage, treat your hair with the best care that you possibly can. Here’s a list of products and ingredients to use to help your hair get back to normal.
- Saw Palmetto- This is an ingredient that can prevent hair loss by reducing the uptake of DHT in your hair follicles, which decreases DHT’s ability to bind to specific hormone receptors. Our ONE shampoo and conditioner set are perfect for this because saw palmetto is a key ingredient in these products. The Rosemary and Tee Tree Shampoo is fortified to thoroughly cleanse, relieve dry and itchy scalp, hydrate and repair the hair shaft without stripping the most treasured substance our bodies naturally produce.
- Avocado Oil- This oil helps to add strength, shine and instant moisture to hair, making it one of the few oils that can actually penetrate the scalp and hair shaft, rather than merely coating and sitting on top of the hair. That’s why we made sure it was in our One Rosemary and Avocado Conditioner. Created to rejuvenate the hair, it blends vital oils needed to maintain the scalp while unclogging blocked follicles.
- Aloe Vera- People have historically used aloe vera to treat baldness and thinning hair. Aloe vera has many active ingredients and minerals that can help strengthen your hair. It has fatty acids and amino acids and is rich in vitamins A, B12, C, and E. These play a part in healthy hair follicles. Aloe vera is a strong ingredient in our ONE 15 Blend Scalp & Hair Oil. This oil helps to stimulate hair growth, nourish and relieve dry and itchy scalp, add shine, hydrate, and strengthens the hair follicles. You can also purchase the ONE Shampoo and Conditioner Set with the 15 Blend Scalp & Hair Oil.
- Castor Oil- This oil is often praised as a natural solution for hair growth. An age-old remedy long used in traditional medicine, castor oil is said to moisturize the scalp, ease dandruff, and leave your hair smooth, strong, and shiny. It’s an ingredient in our ONE hair Growth Serum. This serum strengthens and rejuvenates the hair follicle to prevent hair loss. It promotes hair anchoring by strengthening the follicle metabolism and structure. It also helps slow down hair loss by increasing the anagen hair while reducing the telogen hair.
- Vitamin B6- This vitamin increases the flow of oxygenated blood to the hair follicle and scalp. This blood, full of oxygen, greatly supports hair growth and hair revitalization. Vitamin B6 plays an indirect, helping role in the formation of new hair. Our ONE Avocado Hair Smoothie is made with vitamin B6. This hair smoothie is also enriched with vitamins A, D, E and proteins, amino acids, magnesium, folic acid, copper, and iron. It’s formulated to moisturize, nourish and strengthen hair strands. It also stimulates growth and unclogs blocked follicles.
There are many more natural ingredients that you can use to help your hair grow back or get healthier during this time. Onion juice, (the idea is that the sulfur in onion juice helps hair regrowth) iron, biotin, zinc, aromatherapy, silicon, selenium, coconut oil, honey, garlic, lavender oil, eggs, green tea, licorice root, and curry leaves. (Writing this right now we are thinking of all of the slumber parties we went to growing up where you would put eggs or mayonnaise on your hair as a deep conditioner. Hands smelling like mayo and mayo dripping down your forehead!) You can also try out a new haircut to make your hair appear fuller and help new hair regrowth blend in. Be extra gentle with your hair while washing, brushing and styling it. Try to avoid tight hairstyles that put strain on your scalp and hair. Eat well and continue to take your prenatal vitamins to ensure that your body is getting all of the nutrients it needs. As a result from all of this, your hair is growing from getting those nutrients from the prenatal vitamins and the healthy food you are putting into your body. Use the right shampoo and conditioners. Our ONE products are a great choice because of the pure ingredients we make them with. Another major treatment for post-pregnancy hair loss, though, is patience. There’s no magic vitamin or secret supplement that can prevent the shedding. BUT, our ONE products can help your hair thrive, grow, and become the healthiest it’s ever been! ONE products have amazing hair growth results, and we want to see those amazing results happen for you too! We wish you luck with your postpartum journey! We know that it can be hard, but hang in there! You are beautiful and you shine just the way you are! You just brought a beautiful human into this world, you have every right to feel exhausted and stressed! Remember, this hair loss thing is only temporary!